Monday, July 19, 2004 :::

*ding ding ding* "the more you know"
 

I just cut david's hair. While it's true that I've cut hair before... well... I didn't wanna screw up his hair any more than it already was. Ouch. That sounds harsh. Just he already looks like an escaped convict - I don't want him looking like a serial killer or anything.
I did a decent job, except this one spot where I shave a bit too much. It'll be fine, though. He's always wearing a cap anyway.

We bowled tonight. I did ~awful~. I was last in both games I played, and in the latter game I think I pulled a muscle in my groin. David made some joke about girls having muscles in their groins... and was like "*ding ding ding* the more you know...." (like those commercials).

Before bowling we stopped by Barnes and Noble to buy another copy of The Once and Future King. I also picked up Selected Writings, by St. Thomas Aquinas. Ever since I decided to go to the Univ of St. Thomas I've had a particular interest in the guy... and after one of his essays that I read in philo, well.... I'm pretty interested.
My faith is something I've struggled with. I really can't stand when someone blinding believes in something... which is funny... according to dictionary.com faith is "The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will." I don't think you should ever just trust in something/someone just because you're told to. You need to take the information that's given to you and make your own decisions. A lot of how I interpret the Bible can seem blasphemous... but honestly it's the best I can do. I don't feel the Bible is a literal book... but should be taken for the moral of the story. It's been difficult... my rltnship with God and my church. For not my priest back home, Father Greg, and the wonderful priest at my parish here, Father Andres... I've really had some issues but they've been there to help me understand.
So anyway... My faith is something I could talk about for aaages. It's very complicated... and very important to me.
Especially now.

Like it says on the back of the book, "Preoccupied with the rltnship btwn faith and reason, he [Aquinas] was influenced by both Aristotle's rational world view, and by the powerful belief that wisdom and truth can ultimately only be reached through divine revelation."
I feel like most of us feel torn... like when I was younger - If I was at church and someone asked be about how we came to be my answer was "adam and eve, etc." but when at school my answer was "evolution, etc." I feel like over the years I've come to reach a happy medium... and while my stance may not work for anyone else... well... it certainly works for me.

With that said, I am covered in hair and I'm sleepy. A quick shower then beddy-bye for me.

::: posted by tinafish at 1:00 AM :::